RFI

Re: [RFI] New 857, won't TX on 20m - RFI in truck meters and dial l

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] New 857, won't TX on 20m - RFI in truck meters and dial lights (kd4e)
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 11:59:04 -0600
I agree with Jim completely but would like to add one thing.

In both war and in troubleshooting the first thing you need to
understand is the strength of the enemy.  In this case it means at what
power level do you have problems.  If you can transmit at 50w without
problems but have problems at 100W then you only need to reduce the
offending common mode current by 3dB (pretty easy to do) but if you
begin to have problems at 1W you will need to reduce the offending
common mode current, or more likely currents, by 20dB (a much much
harder task).  Just because you experience problems only on 20m only
means the threshold of the problem is less than 100W on 20m.  You may
very well "almost" have problems on other bands.

73 and good luck,
Larry, W0QE