RFI

[RFI] Mix 77 Snap-on

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Mix 77 Snap-on
From: "Kimo Chun" <kimo@lava.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 07:18:17 -1000
John,

IMO there are three ways to buy ferrites. Suppliers that stock surplus or
limited selection pieces like All Electronics and Surplus Sales of Nebraska;
Retail suppliers who have broader lines such as Palomar, Amidon Associates;
then the wholesale / industrial distributors such as Loadstone Pacific and
Kreger Components. A fourth type who is somewhat a cross between retail and
industrial are large mail order places like Digi-Key or Mouser.

If you are only looking for small quantities then you can see if the first
and fourth type has them. Then the second type - they will likely have what
you want but at a somewhat higher price. Then, if you can put together
orders of perhaps $50 or more with a $25 minimum per line item (Loadstone
Pacific), you can order from distributors. Their prices will be lower
especially in quantity purchases of single items. Sometimes a purchase of
quantities of mixed product may garner some discount as well. In my limited
search and experience I feel that Kreger may have higher prices but better
on-hand stock. Loadstone Pacific, where I purchased from, forced me to
either modify my purchase selection, delete some (waiting for shipments to
come in), etc.  They do have good stock but may not always have what you
want available to ship immediately. You might also check out Digi-key once
you have pricing from others.

When purchasing from the industrial/wholesalers you need to already be
versed in the product and part numbers as well as alternatives you might
entertain. They are used to dealing with professionals who are purchasing
for companies and production lines, not end user hobbyists. You can obtain
info off of Fair-rite's site and even ask questions of them on application.
I had Fair-rite send me a catalog. Then you will be prepared to deal with
the industrial wholesalers with quantity purchases. I believe Kreger may not
have or have less stringent minimum purchase requirements. They will readily
provide a quote to you via email after a phone call to them. Their prices
see-sawed with Loadstone Pacific from item to item but they were generally
higher. Again, they had it all in stock so that has some value.

So unless someone can respond with a lucky find at cheap prices of what you
are looking for you should consider the above. There are, of course, other
suppliers. Doing a Web search for the manufacturers such as Fair-rite
Products Corp, TDK Magnetics (?) and others (I am forgetting another major
name at the moment) may lead you to the distributors.

I hope this helps you make a good purchase.

Kimo Chun, KH7U

Message: 3