RFI

[RFI] Power line RFI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Power line RFI
From: "RFI Services" <mike@rfiservices.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 14:20:46 -0400
This is a true statement:
"The way for you NOT to do it is to go tug on pole guys or hit them with a
mallet to see if you can find a sensitive pole..."

Power line hardware sparks when two pieces of hardware are close enough
together that when charged by the EMF the gap breaks down and a discharge
occurs. This is commonly found in the metallic components anywhere on the
pole. All of these sources are likely to short under moist conditions, even
a cloudy day. It's rare that power line noises are started or elevated by
rain but it does rarely occur. Remember it is very rare. It is as rare to
find broken insulators to be the cause and never transformers. Slack span
insulators where they are joined are just one of the causes. More often the
sources are loose staples, pole ground touching hardware (staples and
brackets)and different hardware touching each other without a could clean
connection.
It is rare that the cause of these RFI sources are creating a loss to the
system because it is mostly likely an induced voltage that energizes the
hardware. Therefore the current is very low and rarely detectable using
infrared. The loss to the system due to the EMF is there whether the gaps in
the hardware are present or not.
We all hear about the power companies that don't respond to complaints but
there are many that do. The ones that don't aren't going to respond well to
anything you say, Lie (oops I mean stretch the truth) or not. However, if
they do respond and find you've miss-represented the issue it will only add
to the reasons they don't respond well to complaints and Amateur radio ops.
When you call let them know you are the operator of a radio station and
receiving interference from what you believe is their power lines and their
assistance would be appreciated.
Do not make threats, blame transformers, cracked insulators, and a lack of
maintenance as the cause. It is rare that they believe transformers cause
RFI problems and they almost never find cracked insulators.
Believe me when I say this is good info for hams. Altogether I assist in
solving or solve close to 500 RFI complaints annually. I hear both sides and
work daily for both the Hams as well as the power companies. Suggesting the
cause without confirmation creates more problems than it helps. And for
Pete's sake don't spend 20 minutes explaining why you know more about
locating power line noise than they do. Examples like: "My father's second
cousins nephew is an engineer, so I know what I'm talking about."
All kidding aside only tell them what you know as a fact. If you think it's
coming from a particular pole give them the pole number but don't be mad if
they don't replace it or everything on it. It's been many years since I've
had to replace anything other than a lightning arrestor to eliminate a
noise.
As stated above don't touch the utilities equipment. I've never heard of a
pole coming down because it was shook or hit, but I have seen a lot of
hardware, tools and wires fall because of pole hit or shook.

Mike Martin
RFI Services
6469 Old Solomons Island Rd
Tracys Landing, MD 20779