RFI

Re: [RFI] Powerful RFI - Solved

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Powerful RFI - Solved
From: "Andy" <ingraham.ma.ultranet@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:22:44 -0400
> Problem solved. The thing is how the AM radio did not pick up a
> single thing but it was well over +20 when it was heard in the Ten-
> Tec on 40M.

I'm sure there are many possibilities, but a few of them are:

Some AM radios are deaf, especially AM/FM stereo radios.  Some can't pick up
an AM station 20 miles away.

If it uses a loopstick antenna, it might be sensitive primarily to the
magnetic field, and maybe the radiation's near-field is mostly electric
field.

Many car AM radios are supposed to be very sensitive, plus they tend to use
metal rods or wire rather than loops as antennas, so they will pick up the
electric field component much better.

Or maybe there was something about this particular lamp, like a built-in RFI
filter that was designed to be most effective on the AM band.

Andy