RFI

Re: [RFI] CFLs and LEDs

To: ve3yv@pathcom.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] CFLs and LEDs
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:13:55 -0500
George Gorsline VE3YV wrote:
> FWIW - I have CFLs throughout the house and also at the cottage.  No
> issues with RFI, but as noted cold start in the winter (before the wood
> stove heats the cottage up) will give you slow firing and gradual
> increase to normal brightness.  They're getting nicer now that warmer
> temperatures (colours) are available.  Early purchases didn't have good
> life - lots of premature failures.  Note that the fine print says that
> they aren't to be installed in enclosed ceiling fixtures - where most of

About half of the 20 we have installed are either in ceiling fixtures of
fully enclosed in glass globes. Nary a problem with heat of premature
failure after the early ones.  The one here in the den is fully enclosed
in a glass globe under and attached to a ceiling fan (Probably a worst
case). I went according to the actual power used, and not equivalent
when  it came to the fixture power limit. No problems for several years
although the light is slightly warmer (color) that it was when new.

There are two computers, my network router and switch (Gigabit CAT5e)
with runs to 5 computers, two USB printers, two USB scanners, and the
CFL in the ceiling.  This computer is inches from the TMD-710 control
head. The remote mounted RF deck is next to the other computer and the
connecting cable runs along with the CAT5e.  Normally the 756 Pro sits
next to that remote RF deck.  Two runs of the CAT5e make the 130 foot
run to the shop parallel and only a few feet from the cables to tower.
Likewise in the shop the station sets adjacent and inches from the
computers.  The computer in the shop connects to the Icom interface
which ties the rig and amp together.

So far, no problems with RFI from the stuff in the shop or house.

73

Roger (K8RI)