RFI

Re: [RFI] DirecTV to ground or not to ground

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] DirecTV to ground or not to ground
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 16:03:22 -0600
Jim, first of all,  thank you for your response. You
are a valuable asset on the list.

I would also stress that there is one more reason for
'grounding' of equipment, esp. anything that has
exposure to the outside (e.g. antennas in our case,
but this could include remote wx sensors with wiring
back into the house, etc.)

If you recall, a change in voltage on one plate (say,
the 'cloud' for the purposes of discussion) attempts to
induce a 'displacement' current (via charge induction)
in those conductors (the other 'plate') or conducting
mechanisms within its view, again, usually an antenna
in our case BUT could include metal railings, fences,
etc.

If  _no_  leakage path (a connection of device to earth
ground) is provided, then, the potential on the surface
(maybe connected via coax to a chassis down below,
e.g. a converter box) can rise to .... well, as many as
volts as the 'impressing' or charged element (cloud here
again) is able to develop (ignoring certain limiting factors
like what the 'view' is, distance  between them, etc.)

(This would be separate from corona discharge which
is the breakdown of air with subsequent flow of
electrons/ions.)

Many of these consumer devices are 'double-insulated'
and the 'mains' input hipot tested to 5 KV or so; this
represents quite a potential shock hazard, never mind
a direct lightning strike, if this proposed scenario
develops without some conductive 'leakage' path back
to earth (earth ground) to equalize potential between
the 'object' and earth (and possible human touch or
interaction).

(I wonder if that rationale is ever expressed by the NEC
or its annotated version with the above in mind as the
reason for grounding ...)

Background: Demonstration of concept (19 MB):
"Charge induced in ground plane by overhead conductor"
http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/resources/zahn/video/demo-4-7-1_300k.mp4

I want also to make mention of a volume set that I
once upon a time thought invaluable and covered
some of the 'systems issues' you addressed in the
linked pdf file from the previous e-mail; one volume
in this particular set was quite instructive, and perhaps
accounts for my unwillingness to lightly accept anything
in the nature of noise, grounding, signal termination, etc,
without a thorough examination of the asserted subject.

Title: "Physical design of electronic systems" (in 4 volumes)
by Bell Telephone Laboratories

Much of this is a little more then slightly off topic for
the RFI list, so this will be my  last address on this
subject.

Regards,

JimP // WB5WPA //