RFI

Re: [RFI] Just one more CFL

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Just one more CFL
From: John Brosnahan -- W0UN <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 14:42:08 -0600

>And the most recent supplement appears to show Osram/Sylvania as having
>the shortest life and a significant deterioration in light output over
>that short life. GE seem to be the best, but I don't recall ever seeing
>GE-branded CFLs.
>
>Alan NV8A

WalMart sells GE and the last ones I bought are the newer slimline
base and are actually pretty darn bright.  And the lifetime seems
pretty good at 5 days! (so far)    ;-)

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&search_query=light+bulb&Find.x=15&Find.y=5

The ones shown on the web site do not include the 100 watt equivalent
I just bought that have the slimline base.  The package says
something about "NEW" but I forget the rest of the details.

I put two of them in the kitchen fixture over the sink (110W equiv)
to replace the two 60W incandescent.  Went oversize since the CFLs
always seem to be lower in light output than the equivalent
rating.  But these are BRIGHT.  So bright in fact that my wife says
they are too bright.  First time this has ever happened to me with a CFL.

My problem has always been premature failure and it has been very
unusual to get more than one year of life out of one.  But we will
have to see what these NEW GEs do for life.  They certainly are an
improvement in brightness.

A 12-pack of the 60W equivalent GEs are under $20 from the WalMart
web site.  So price seems to no longer be an issue.  Just got to get
the lifetime up to suit me.

Hopefully -- John  W0UN