RFI

Re: [RFI] Alternative Power Source Questions

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Alternative Power Source Questions
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 23:11:16 -0800
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 01:43:30 -0500, Roger (K8RI) wrote:

>I believe the one problem discussed was from the inverter running with
>solar panels wiping out the bands a city block away.

Yes, they can be very nasty noise sources. The fundamental problem is
that the charging currents are pulse regulated, and the circuit
designer has ignored fundamental design rules to prevent RFI. The
problems include 1) fast rise times, so the current is rich in
harmonics; 2) these currents flow around a loop area that is large, so
the magnetic field produced by the current is quite strong; 3) the
large current loop also results in strong antenna action for the higher
harmonics.

These systems also use a system that pulses the battery to prevent long
term degradation of the battery. I don't recall details, the the RFI
implications are the same -- harmonics, large inductive loops, antenna
action.

Proper design would have the charging currents confined to twisted pair
cable that follows the entire path from the regulator to the batteries,
bypass capacitors across switching transistors to keep the higher
frequency energy out of that path, and have the rise times slowed down
to minimize the strength of higher order harmonics.

Similar attention needs to be paid to the system that feeds power back
onto the AC line, and a line filter should probably be used on that
line.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC