RFI

[RTTY] Duplex Outlets - Fire hazard - TVI

To: Group RFI <rfi@contesting.com>, Repairman AL <alsshop@mchsi.com>, Boat Anchors <BOATANCHORS@LISTS.TEMPE.GOV>, Pike Dan <danpike@charter.net>, NS6C Dennis <ns6c@arrl.net>, N6RT Doug <n6rt@dabware.com>, W6JI Ed <w6ji@socal.rr.com>, N6UY George <n7uy@comcast.net>, Getz Rick <rick@serchnow.com>, Group RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>, Group SCCC <sccc@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Duplex Outlets - Fire hazard - TVI
From: rick darwicki <n6pe@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 18:57:25 -0700 (PDT)
FYI,

My house was built in the 70's and does not have all aluminum wire, but it does
have copper coated aluminum wire.

With the recent 6-meter openings I decided to try the SteppIR and Pro III out
on 6-meters and I was causing some audio RFI on the TV. With the DirecTV
antenna cable disconnected it was still there. Moving around the room changed
the level of the RFI.

I unplugged the DirecTV box from the power strip and plugged it into the wall
socket. The RFI jumped up about 30 db louder and decreased when I wiggled the
plug.

I pulled the duplex outlet out and it had #12 push in wires that were noticably
arced and apparently were the source of the problem because replacing the
outlet knocked out any sign of TVI.

I think is is time to go around the whole house and replace all the outlets
with the compression type.

Rick, N6PE