RFI

Re: [RFI] Any Issues with newer heating cooling systems

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Any Issues with newer heating cooling systems
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 12:44:19 -0400
> Modern variable speed motors are notorious for REALLY severe RFI.
> They work by first rectifying AC to get DC, then creating a chain of
> square waves whose width is modulated to control the motor.

And the worst part?  When these devices are used in "appliances," the entire
appliance is exempt from certification and is also "exempt from the specific
technical standards and other requirements..." under Part 15.103(d):

"Sec.  15.103  Exempted devices.

(d) A digital device utilized exclusively in an appliance, e.g.,
microwave oven, dishwasher, clothes dryer, air conditioner (central or
window), etc."

I especially like the "etc." part at the end.  The unintentional radiator
segment of Part 15 has not kept up with the times -- or perhaps it has and
lobbying power between large appliance manufactures and the FCC has kept
subsection (d) alive and well during these times of significant technical
advancement of our household appliances.

In my own kitchen, every major appliance is now controlled through a
computer or CPU of one form or another, including my dishwasher,
refrigerator, microwave oven, and range.  Oh, and the huge RFI producing
clothes washer (also an exempt appliance), produces +40 dB/S9 interference
on 75m.   It's so pervasive, that remedial RFI abatement techniques are
useless.   A large induction loop around the drum sprays RFI directly and
also cross-couples to unshielded cabling throughout the washer. A total
nightmare.  For once, I cannot wait for a major appliance to break down.  I
am hearing reports that newer direct-drive clothes washers are getting
better in this regard.

Perhaps the ARRL can begin keeping a database of "RFI-friendly" appliances
for prospective purchasers like myself who do not want to live with severe
RFI during the lifetime of the appliance?

Paul, W9AC