RFI

Re: [RFI] Belkin PureAV™ Home Theater Battery Back up

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Belkin PureAV™ Home Theater Battery Back up
From: kd4e <doc@kd4e.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 14:02:42 -0500
Good info.

What I need is a good UPS that doesn't generate hash while
recharging, maintenance charging, or inline use during a
grid failure.

My goal is for everything important to function off-grid
but I am a long ways from that.

What would you recommend in the way of a UPS (600W or more)
that is RF-quiet, reliable, and provides for external
batteries so the time-up may be extended (without melting
the inverter)?

 > Jim Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 08:44:28 -0500, kd4e wrote:
>

>> Are they really RFI-clean or do they only address line noise?
>
> Hi Doc,
>
> As you probably know, I work in pro audio. The real engineers
> among us get quite a laugh out of the technical claims made from
> the purveyors of audio accessories to "clean up that nasty AC
> line" to make audio gear sound better.
>
> I'd guess that this product is a standard backup power supply with
> a simple power line RFI filter. It probably also has MOVs in it. I
> would guess that it doesn't MAKE RF noise in standby mode, but I'd
> bet that it DOES when it's regenerating AC during a power failure.
>
> When I'm specifying systems for public buildings (theaters,
> churches, stadiums, etc) where things need to work with flaky
> power, I specify the combination of a SurgeX suppressor (for
> lightning protections) and a backup on DSP-based equipment so that
> it doesn't lose its brains or have to reboot with a power
> interruption. If you've got an extra $600 laying around, you could
> do that for your home stereo.
>
> If you simply want to do some RF filtering, look for RF line
> filters from mfrs like Corcom and Delta. They cost a LOT less. The
> SurgeX units also include very good RF line filters. See the RFI
> tutorial on my website for photos of some filters and a discussion
> of how they work.
>
> http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf
>
> 73,
>
> Jim Brown K9YC