RFI

Re: [RFI] AM Broadcast petition

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] AM Broadcast petition
From: Scott Holisky <sholisky@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 22:53:09 -0500
My AM consultant buddy told me 5 years ago that the measurable noise
increase in metro areas had risen 13 dB over the last 10 years. The reason I
asked was our stations EBS AM antenna reception had degraded to the point
that it would no longer trip the decoders. (Bad in the FCC's opinion) So
down came the hb EWE and up went a commercial loop. Problem solved for the
next 10 years.

This is like the miners canary in the cage for over the air reception.

Problem for the AM broadcasters is they couldn't afford to run enough power
to overcome the increase in the baseband noise. Given the steep competition
and loss of revenue it only makes matters worse, 6 dB is not going to help.

73 Scott N0AR