RFI

Re: [RFI] Tower Intermod - Control Lines

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Tower Intermod - Control Lines
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:04:40 -0700
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 07:36:55 -0500, Ed Richardson wrote:

>I am now convinced it is something local, either on my tower or
>something weak that the antennas up top can hear but I can not detect at
>ground level.

Understood. Do you have an HF rig (or can you borrow one) that you can put
in your car or hand carry around the neighborhood looking for peaks in
signal strength?  My Kenwood TH-F7A is not sensitive enough on the HF
bands to be of use, but one of the little 5W QRP rigs is small enough to
hand carry and plenty sensitive enough to do the job. All you need is an
antenna. Something like a Ham Stick and mag mount would work on a car if
you don't have a mobile antenna already. Once you get close, you can think
about a loop to triangulate on it.

73, Jim K9YC