RFI

Re: [RFI] Am I hosed? RFI problems

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Am I hosed? RFI problems
From: Kelly Johnson <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 23:12:26 -0700
I found the source with portable gear.  I wouldn't think about
knocking on someone's door if I wasn't at least 95% certain.  I
determined it was this house by walking the street in front of this
house and walking along the railroad tracks that are behind this
house.  When I walked up to this house's front door the S-meter on my
portable FT-817 read S7 on 12m.  It read S0 when standing at the front
door of the house on the left and S0 when standing on the sidewalk in
front of the house on the right.  I initially narrowed it down to this
house and the one on the left by walking the railroad track behind the
house.

I agree...I've never heard a computer that noisy either, but then
again I've never heard ANY RFI this loud in my 35 years as a ham.
It's S9+ on 40m and 20m and not much less than that until you get
above 28MHz. I don't know what it is, but I'm pretty much out of
operation until it is fixed one way or another.'