RFI

Re: [RFI] Ferrite bead disintegration

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Ferrite bead disintegration
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:42:16 -0700
The performance of split beads is very sensitive to the length of the
air gap between the faces, which is why the faces are so highly polished
and why you shouldn't touch them with your fingers (or get jam on them).

I once measured the impedance of a Fair Rite split bead in one of those
plastic enclosures that hold the two halves together.  I then squeezed
the enclosure with my fingers to press the two halves together more
firmly.  The impedance went up.  Only a few percent (10 or so?) but
quite noticeable.

I wouldn't expect a shattered bead with all those air gaps squeezed
together only by vinyl tape to work very well.

FWIW

73, Jim Smith   VE7FO