RFI

Re: [RFI] HomePlug Experience?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] HomePlug Experience?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 21:58:57 -0400

On 10/7/2010 6:42 AM, Hare, Ed W1RFI wrote:
>> I do know the CAT5e and CAT6 do radiate making the use of 2-meter HTs
>> problematic within about 75 feet of the cable runs.
>
> That almost sounds like something could be wrong. At ARRL HQ, we have an
> extensive Ethernet and radio operation continues pretty much noise free.
> There is some noise on HF to the W1HQ club station, but I wouldn't think that
> we are hearing the network at W1AW about 300 feet from the HQ building.
I had never noticed any RFI from the gigabit network, but when we were
taking down the big antennas for maintenance, I discovered the HT's were
almost useless on 2-meters. Nothing on the 440 band.  Also there is
nothing noticed at either end.  I can set the HTs on the computers in
the shop or the box where the network runs come into the shop and not
even break the squelch. I do not hear anything on the big 144/440
verticals with one side mounted on the big tower at 50', or the one
(same make and model) mounted at roughly 16' on the N side of the shop.

Of course it is possible the source was something else, but the tower area
seemed to be the most affected. I didn't get a chance to power down the
network.  Possibly I can do that in the next couple of days to see if it still
bothers.

73

Roger (K8RI)

>>> http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek