RFI

Re: [RFI] Power Line Noise Conundrum

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Power Line Noise Conundrum
From: "N0RQ-lists" <n0rq-lists@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 07:21:51 -0500
Kim,

You've already had several other excellent responses, so mine will be short.

I've found it hard to get very accurate readings on HF, partly because the
noise can be radiated, partly because most folks (like me) don't have
4+element beams on HF.

I almost always start with 6m.  With 5 elements from home, it gives me a
really good idea of the direction.

Then, in mobile and/or walking, with 2m/70cm AM receiver and small handheld
beams, the pinpointing is done.
The 2m vertical on the car may tell you when you pass a bad pole.
An Arrow 3-element 2m beam is pretty helpful.
An Arrow 7-element 70cm beam is outstanding.

Make sure to flip the beam back and forth -- vertical, horizontal,
in-between -- as you point at different poles.  If there are several poles
close to each other that have a problem, it can be confusing, so multiple
triangulation spots could be needed.  Sometimes you just find the worst one,
get it fixed, and if there is still a problem, do it again.

Write down the pole #, the closest address, and contact the utility.

By the way, in our day with heightened security awareness, don't be
surprised if someone questions you about pointing an odd-looking device at
poles.  This has happened to me several times.  A friendly smile and a brief
explanation have taken care of it for me, but I wouldn't surprise me if
someone called law enforcement. ;-)

The ARRL has lots of good info, as Ed mentioned, and my web page has (I
think) lots of good advice and references as well:
www.powerlinenoise.com

73, Dave N0RQ