RFI

Re: [RFI] Reasonably Priced Low-RFI "Large" Battery Charger

To: "doc@kd4e.com" <doc@kd4e.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Reasonably Priced Low-RFI "Large" Battery Charger
From: "Christopher E. Brown" <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 17:34:58 -0600 (CST)
On Sun, 7 Nov 2010, doc@kd4e.com wrote:

> Sounds like a good choice given the dual-purpose
> charger and daily-use power supply.
>
> Have you seen a better price elsewhere?
>
> Item#: DLS-45 with built-in IQ4:
> Price With Options: $178.50
> http://store.solar-electric.com/dls-45.html
>
> I have been using a GAMMA HPS-1a via a West Mtn Radio
> powerGATE PG-40 (the older model) which floats 1A across
> the battery all the time and only engages the PS directly
> when the battery sags under load.
>
> The load has only been an occasionally-used 100w solid
> state transceiver (Alinco DX-70TH or Yaesu FT-857D).
>
> I am not sure why the Deka Seamate AGM 8A3DTM 1000MCA
> 800CCA 105AH @ 20Hr 12v battery failed.
>
>> Christopher E. Brown wrote:
>> IOTA Engineering DLS series, one of the 12V units and with the built in IQ4

I picked mine up from bestconverter.com, I seem to recall that generally a
DLS-45/IQ4 should be around $180 - 190, and a DLS-55/IQ4 $190 - 200.

The best bang for the $ at the time was the 55amp units, and when I
expanded the bank and added a SG500 amp it was easier to add a second
DLS-55 than to replace the 55 with a 90.

I am running a pair of DLS-55/IQ4 in parallel (these are isolated output
supplies rated for floating batteries and series or parallel operation),
into a bank of "Lifeline" (Concord sub-company) size 31, 105ah @ 20h.

The 3 things that kill a real deepcycle battery in this use are

1) Excess float voltage (depending on temp it will be 13.2 - 13.6 for most
everything, 13.8 absmax).

2) Improper charging/cycling

3) Excess discharge / too many discharges

A good AGM deep-cycle with thick plates should be able to handle 300 - 600
80% DOD (depth of discharge) cycles, Lifeline/Concord is at the upper end,
Oddessy and many others at the lower, and the "deep-cycle/marine"
batteries at the bulk whse or auto store are really just a heavy plated
SLI type and fail fast, generally at < 100 cycles.  I used to "save money"
and get the ~100ah "marine/deep" batts for ~ $110 but even with proper
charging they would always give out quickly.  I spent ~ $300 for the first
Lifeline unit and it has been in use for 4x longer than any of the
previous and shown no sign of age/failure...

Floating a battery at 14 - 14.2 will generally toast it in a year or 2,
and low current bulk charging reduces the span too.

Proper charging is a high current (generally 14 - 14.4 volts as much
current as the battery will take or at battery max charge current limit)
up to a certain point, then flipping to 13.2 - 13.6 for float and every so
often feeding the already charged battery 14.6 for a time to equalize.

THis only applied to thick plate heavy duty real deep-cycle batteries
(also refered to as traction batteries, golf cart batts, industriel power,
etc...)  Gel-cells and SLI batts generally need a much lower current
charge cycle to keep them happy.

I would suggest getting the manuf specs to your prefered or available
batts, hopefully Ultru low outgass AGM true deepcycles.  Compare the 80%
DOD cycle figures, and pay close attention to the charging/floating specs.
In the batt maker cannot tell you the 80% DOD figure, the prefered charge
method, max charge current and provide a float voltage per temp table
eliminate that batter from the list...  It is not one you want.

The best batteries for this use will be rated for 400+ 80% DOD cycles,
unlimited current bulk charging at a max voltage (normally 14.4 - 14.6).
This means they have very thick plates and busbars and can handle max
current at 14.6 (limited by batt internal resist) charging.

Next step down should still be 300+ cycles but may have a current limit
(i.e. 14.6V fixed with 25amp max).

Eithor may be wet cell, or AGM.  For outdoor/vented use, a wet-cell 4D
size _real_ marine battery generally meets these specs, but venting is an
issue.  An AGM type with ultra low outgass controlled venting is a better
option for HAM use though.

If I wanted a general purpose charger for use on general batteries (think
go box use, vehicle SLI, motorcycle, unknown 3rd party batts) I would get
a DLS-15.  That would provide safe/proper charge/maint of any wet or AGM
or gell that could stand a 15amp charge.

If I was buying for use in a station with _picked_ batteries I would get
DLS-45 or larger.

The best stuff I was able to find was the IOTA chargers and the Lifeline
batteries (size 31 and larger).  I known there is equiv or even better out
there, but the Lifeline batts were the best available in the local market
(and the only real option for be, all of the others avail locally were
problems...  No specs available or terrible ratings for 80% DOD)