RFI

Re: [RFI] CFL Bulbs that are OK!

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] CFL Bulbs that are OK!
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 01:34:50 -0500

On 11/29/2010 2:40 PM, Christopher E. Brown wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, KD7JYK DM09 wrote:

First, check the specifics on the CFLs, not so much as who is selling
them unless you can find out where their supplier is as they are all
imported and second sourced as far as I can tell.  So the different
manufacturers may be selling CFLs from the same source.

"So far"...I've never had a problem with CFLs, other than the early ones
tended to have a short life and were expensive.  They have become much
less costly and far more reliable over the past few years.

ALL our screw in lamps have been replaced with CFLs which is about 20
with the exception of the floods on the front of the garage and outside
corners of the shop.  The basement and shop all use conventional
fluorescent tubes with 4' in the basement  (16) and 8' in the shop (22)
So far none of these has been an RFI issue, with the exception of
ballasts failing in the shop which is rare. When one does fail I replace
the entire fixture as the ballast costs more by itself than an 8', 2
tube fixture with ballast.

Where do I get them? I just pick up what ever is on the shelf at Lowe's
or Home Depot with no regard to the make.
I do find that their listed equivalent is a bit shy on perceived
brightness so I use 100 watt equivalents for 60-75 watt incandescents.
which still use only about 1/4 of the incandescent power.

73

Roger (K8RI)