RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI to TV

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI to TV
From: Patrick Dyer <pjdyer@swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 05:50:19 -0600
145.25 is the CATV Ch 18 (Ch E) NTSC video carrier frequency, and on an
(FM) HT it will sound pretty much like unmodulated dead air.  The audio
for that is 4.5 MHz higher (so out of the 2m band).  It's the only basis
that the FCC will accept a formal complaint from hams for CATV egress
RFI situations.  I had to resort to that (thru the FCC Houston office)
to get the local CATV moving on what turned out to be a classic case of
"dog-chewed cable" on adjacent property in early 1991.  The CATV work
order/ticket actually had that as a checkable item of cause (it being so
common)!  The CATV coax was rerouted to minimize a reoccurrence.

All the numerous CATV audios between 130-150+ MHz are a pretty good way
to ascertain/demonstrate egress since they are not broadcast (OTA) TV
freqs and "stand out".   When the leaks were on OTA freqs such as this
http://www.qsl.net/wa5iyx/images/833311.jpg could occur - Sept 1983 when
our local Ch 4 was off (turned out to be an adjacent-east illegal tap,
before TX had enacted any CATV theft-of-service statutes, "cured" by
changing the 4-port in the pedestal in their yard to a 3-port.  BTW, the
renters were evicted 2 mon. later.).  Needless to say, with that source
at c. 20 ft away it really messed up my OTA TV reception. (And probably
provided good CATV ingress for any of my VHF RF :<)

73, Pat - WA5IYX