RFI

Re: [RFI] Phone

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Phone
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 11:17:04 -0600
On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:13, Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 10:23, rick darwicki <n6pe@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I have large multiturn LF and HF material chokes on my old portable phone
>> line, right at the phone.
>>
>> If I have the phone in one hand up to my ear and transmit on 10 Meters, I
>> can hear CW in the phone. If I grasp the ferrite chokes with my other hand,
>> the interference goes away or drop to almost nothing.
>>
>> Watsup wid dat?
>

> Stop talking on the phone when you are supposed to be working DX!  :-)

In seriousness, let me add that when you say "old" you open up a can
of RF worms.

Most cordless phones are UHF *now* (35-cm band or higher), but go back
a decade and a lot were still VHF-lo (45-50 MHz).  Go back two or more
decades and some used MF (around 1.7 MHz, IIRC) for half the circuit
with 45-50 MHz on the other side.