RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI and Smart meters

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI and Smart meters
From: Charles Coldwell <coldwell@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 11:02:17 -0500
Does anybody know what frequencies smart meters transmit on?  Are they
yet another Part 15 device in the microwave ISM bands?

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 12:15 AM, Gary Tuck <gtuck@mac.com> wrote:
> I was cruising thru the neighborhood with the car AM radio tuned to 530 and
> found nothing remarkable. Driving along main streets, several areas kicked up
> the noise
> significantly.  As I pulled into the garage, the radio was overwhelmed
> by noise.  hmmmm.  Once again I hit the main breaker in the panel cutting off
> all power to the house
> and the noise didn't change. On my rig it sounds like band noise just 5-7 S
> units stronger.
> Our electrical panel is in the garage, and the suspected Smart meter just
> outside of course.
> Is this normal or does it point to a fault in meter installation.  I've never
> had reason
> to check noise in the garage before so I don't have a baseline.
> 73, Gary W7TEA
>

> On 12/22/2010 8:46 PM, Gary Tuck wrote:
>>   More testing to do!!
>
> One useful technique is to use a portable receiver as a sniffing probe
> very close to the device in question, and ESPECIALLY to any WIRING
> connected to it.   I use the HF RX that's built into my 2M/440 talkie.
> It's not a great RX, but it's good enough for this purpose in close
> proximity to a noise source.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Charles M. Coldwell, W1CMC
"Turn on, log in, tune out"
Belmont, Massachusetts, New England (FN42jj)

GPG ID:  852E052F
GPG FPR: 77E5 2B51 4907 F08A 7E92  DE80 AFA9 9A8F 852E 052F