RFI

Re: [RFI] Interesting Noise

To: doug@k4ac.com, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Interesting Noise
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:46:51 EST
Tell us more about the noise:  does it have a buzz to it (60/120 Hz),  or
is it white noise?

If the former, some sort of power line related noise.  Hard to
troubleshoot if it only shows up once every two years for a few minutes.

If it is white noise, it is likely precipitation static, which is not
affected or controlled by surge suppressors. DC grounding is likewise not a
preventative measure, since it is grounding at the RF frequency that would
matter.

It is common for precipitation static to be worst in the first few minutes
of a storm, even though the precipitation continues on for a while.

How high is the antenna? Generally the higher it is, the more prone to
precipitation static.  In the case of large stacked HF yagis, it is common  for
the top one to be affected by precipitation static, while the lower one
isn't. (This is also a matter of a sort of shielding of the lower antenna by
the  higher one).

73  -  Jim   K8MR

In a message dated 3/10/2011 10:05:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,