RFI

Re: [RFI] Arrestors

To: <rfi@contesting.com>, <wd3c@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Arrestors
From: "Hardy Landskov" <n7rt@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 21:10:19 -0700
There has to be an arc to excite the wire to cause electromagnetic
radiation. This is what you hear in you radio. Along with that there is
audio radiation in the 25 to 50 KHz region that is detectable with
ultrasonic devices. Since the audio wavelength is very short compared to
electromagnetic wavelength, it is easy to make detectors that can pin point
insulators, bolts, and other hardware that are the culprit(s) causing the
interference. The amount of audio radiation from an arrestor I am not
familiar with but it is some.
There are people on this reflector that can give you more details. Where
there is an arc, there will be ultrasonic radiation also.
Hardy N7RT