RFI

Re: [RFI] FW: Topband: Exciting noise sources (Tim Duffy K3LR)

To: <rfi@contesting.com>, <kb4t@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] FW: Topband: Exciting noise sources (Tim Duffy K3LR)
From: "Alan Robinson" <robinsah@engr.orst.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:13:51 -0700
Hi Frank,

Thank you for writing such a great email. You have been so helpful that I
hesitate to add anything, but here are a few comments for this reflector (I am
sure you know this info).

 I use the Radar Engineers equipment. I have an RE Model 240 RFI Locator, a
Model 250 Ultrasonic, and a Model 247-B Hotstick Line Sniffer. I think they are
well worth the cost and are invaluable for RFI locating.

I use the method developed by Marv Loftness (KB7KK) as described in his book
"AC Power Interference Handbook, Third Edition", available from ARRL and HRO
(and other places). This method is the one Mike Martin (K3RFI) teaches in his
excellent work shops.

Basically the method involves searching with an AM receiver and compact beam
antenna tuned in the 2 meter band to locate the noise within a few poles. Then
I use a 6 element 440 MHz beam (Cushcraft Model A4496S) to identify "the pole".
Then I use the ultrasonic the try to locate the offending hardware.

(Side bar): I do use the RE 240's scope to get a "fingerprint" of the
interference. Then look for that "fingerprint" in the field. For a description
of this see Marv's book.

I do NOT climb poles. I have used the 247 hotstick sniffer to train linemen in
its use. (I have a small portable noise generator for training). Then they use
it with a bucket truck to find the problem hardware and fix it.

Note: The lightening arrestors that I have found had NO audio signature.
However, one was so "hot" I got a very strong signal with my 675 MHz 8 element
beam. I do usually find an audio signature with the Ultrasonic. This helps the
linemen to identify the problem hardware.

I have also tried locating with the MFJ Model 852, dipole only, power line
noise detector. This has not worked well for me. I would like to try their
Model 856 with the built in 3 element beam. Perhaps this would work well to get
within a few poles of the source. But I believe you really need to use 440 to
450 MHz to get "the pole".

Well that's about it for now. Thank you again, Frank, I read all of your
postings very carefully.

73,

Alan
W4LKE