RFI

[RFI] Horrific Ugly Noise Found and stopped...

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Horrific Ugly Noise Found and stopped...
From: Dave Cole <dave@nk7z.net>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 15:55:37 -0700
Hello,
Many thanks to Mike at RFI Services for the helpful hints he provided
to me in locating the noise that was wiping out both 30 and 40 meters.

I used the find and attenuate method, starting at my home.  Walked me
directly to the place offending source.  It was the next door neighbors
shelf lighting.  He has a Westek TR60 switching power supply,
generating 11.5 V AC, at 5 A.  That was spraying RF all over 40 and 30
meters.  We located it, killed it, and now I have 40 and 30 back.  I
have ordered the fellow a new power supply, as explaining to him it is
his responsibility would be more difficult.  I will find some handout
info that lets him know it is his fault, and include it with the
replacement transformer.  I have two calls into the Power company
trying to get them to call me back, so they don't have to waste time
looking for a non existent source.  I'll try again Monday morning.

Again, thank to Mike at RFI Services.

Dave
NK7Z