RFI

Re: [RFI] Possible Satellite Internet Interference

To: <n4zr@contesting.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Possible Satellite Internet Interference
From: Eric - VE3GSI <ve3gsi@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 12:53:19 -0400
Peter & Gang,
The signal repeats close to 1/2 sec cycles a lot of the time, but it often
is quite random and not repeating for seconds or even minutes. The spacing
of the frequency is also random and as David - K1TTT mentioned, might be
close to a 20 or 30 Khz spread. The noise does come from a house on a farm
just over 1 Km west of here.

I only have wire HF antennas at this time, the lowest frequency appears in
the upper AM broadcast band, my highest band I have is 15 meters, no ten
meter antenna. The strongest buzz-burps are 80 and 40 meters the least noise
is on 20 meters, but I only bet that is because of my antenna orientation.
The noise is on all the HF bands.

I do suspect the noise is being carried via the power lines, only because if
I put a portable radio near power line wires the noise is much louder.

I don't suspect, but I don't rule out a switching power supply. Only because
any switching supply I have ever had problems with produced a near constant
buzz/hash. But I also want to check for a switching UPS supply as I know
some charging system do pulse batteries.

Because of the random nature of the noise I suspect digital, almost like the
digital equipment is hunting for something to sync on.  That is only a guess
on my part right now unless proven otherwise.

I am still trying to find out the make, model and dealer of the suspect
equipment. Unless I miss my guess with the lady who owns the farm, I am sure
she will work with me. She is busy with her horses and hard to nail down
this time of year. Last night when I talked to her she was working on her
'Bobcat' tractor, like I said a busy lady.

Thanks,
Eric - VE3GSI