RFI

Re: [RFI] BCB Intermodulation and HV transmission lines

To: "'Ed Richardson'" <ed_richardson@shaw.ca>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] BCB Intermodulation and HV transmission lines
From: "Tim Duffy K3LR" <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 21:20:24 -0500
Hello Ed:

I have seen this exact issue before here at K3LR. 2F1 + F2 from local AM BC
stations - the mix result was in the 80 meter band.

I was also able to create my own 2F1 (the AM station) + K3LR on 1810 mixing
product. That is when I knew I was on to something being wrong at the F1 AM
station.

The source of the issue in my case was the F1 TX antenna system. A bad set
of relay contacts at the base of one of the 3 AM radiating towers had been
pitted due to a lightning hit. Once that relay was replaced - the mix went
away.

I also noticed re-radiated of the mix coming from power lines - but that was
not the source of the mix.

Hope this helps.

73,
Tim K3LR