RFI

Re: [RFI] An excellent free publication on troubleshooting noise issues

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] An excellent free publication on troubleshooting noise issues
From: "EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 15:34:02 +0000
Thanks for sharing John!  I didn't know about the updated edition.

I was hoping this edition would have some info on non-corona (sparking) noise
problems from EHV transmission lines.  Unfortunately, they still didn't cover
it.

Does anyone have experience with resolving sparking problems on transmission
lines (161KV and higher)?

We seem to be having a problem on a phase crossover dead-end tower on a 345KV
line that has 3 sources, one source on each phase at the bottom of each hanging
insulator for the crossover jumpers.  The hardware has been worked and
tightened twice, and suspension weights have been added to each hanging
insulator.  But we still have 3 noise sources.  I'm suspecting they might've
used the wrong type of weights (rectangular versus round; although the edges
are sort of rounded).  These rectangular weights have an opening or gap
log-ways down the middle of the rectangle where the weight's mounting hardware
is located.

If anyone has dealt with this type of problem on an EHV cross-over, I'd like to
hear what solutions were found to be successful.

73,de ed -K0iL