RFI

Re: [RFI] UPS RFI

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com,rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] UPS RFI
From: bill ny9h <ny9h@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:43:39 -0500
I hate that back in 81-83 when i was under contract with
APC  ,,,introducing a 1 piece product line to distributors ( before
it shipped) .... APC quickly dropped the term SBS for "stand by
power"  and  adopted the UPS terminology..  which  means
uninterruptable power supply.  For many years APC never made or sold
UPS products. Today they own a large chunk  of even that biz.

an sbs switches over in 'less than' 4 ms; not enough time for a
computer to detect a failure....and as Jim points out , would then
make more noise than just charging the battery.

the big UPS advantage , aside from never switching over , as they are
on all the time, avoiding a failure mode, your stuff does not see the
line surges, as you ARE MAKING YOUR OWN AC,,,, level of cleanliness
determined by the design....

I started to write a response earlier but as I have not yet put a
scope on the output of my 2500VA unit,,,a Powerware , about 85lbs,,,
I thought i'd wait ...but I hear no rfi from it ,,,

bill