RFI

Re: [RFI] MFJ 75 amp switcher.

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] MFJ 75 amp switcher.
From: Gary K9GS <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 10:01:55 -0500
Hello Jim,

I think the first thing I would do is call Mr. Pan back and ask him if
he would fix the problem.  You might be pleasantly surprised.

This is classic switching PS noise behavior and the first thing to try
is some filtering on the AC input side of the power supply.  I've had
very good luck with filters like these:

http://www.cor.com/Series/RFI.asp

On 3/11/2012 9:17 AM, W4ATK wrote:
> Before purchasing this unit I asked Steven Pan of MFJ if this unit was quiet.
> I was assured no problem.
>
> Well I soon noticed a very raunchy signal that moved about the 20 meter band
> and eventually settled in about 14.070 MHz. Wonderful, as I enjoy PSK and the
> other digital modes.
>
> The strange thing is, I cannot detect the noise if the switcher is on but not
> connected to any load. Once I plug it in to the power strip, then the signal
> shows up on the P3 panadapter and in the receive audio.
>
> I believe it is being propagated over the power cabling and intend to try
> some clamp on ferries. Any other suggestions gratefully received.
>
> Jim, W4ATK
>

> Sent from my iPad

Gary K9GS

Check out K9NS on the web:  http://www.k9ns.com