RFI

Re: [RFI] In house RFI, but

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] In house RFI, but
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 23:52:45 -0400
On 6/24/2012 10:38 PM, Charlie Gallo wrote:
> Hi Gang,
> Yesterday, when a friend came over for FD, we decided to try and chase down
> some of the nouse issues at my QTH.  Well, we found some nasty noise that
> turned off with circuit breaker 18 in my house.  OK, not problem right?
> Wrong, because other than 2 lightbulbs (incandescent) and 2 outlets that have
> nothing plugged in, I can't FIND anything on circuit 18!!  I KNOW, there MUST
> be more - and that I'm missing something, but like a LOT of old houses, I
> really have NO idea exactly what is on circuit 18
>
> Is there any way to track RFI inside the house to a closer location than
> using my ham rig with outside antenna?

Yes.  I'm not familiar with it, but I've seen a device that puts a low
level signal onto a circuit.  Then the circuit can be traced using a
probe.  It can show the route within inches from one end to the other as
well as branches.  That is the total sum of my knowledge of that device.

73

Roger (K8RI)