RFI

Re: [RFI] RfI in CCTV reader

To: "Vin Santis" <vinsantis@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RfI in CCTV reader
From: "Dale Svetanoff" <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 12:27:40 -0500
Vince,

Thank you for the reply comments.  There are many people on this list who
are more expert than I am on some RFI issues, but I'll start things rolling
with a few remarks based upon your reply:

1.  The good news is that you don't have a problem when not using the
amplifier.  I failed to ask what rig your using, but for now, I'll assume
that it delivers 50 to 100 watts in the barefoot mode.  That means your
CCTV system has a threshold of interference somewhere between 100 watts and
600 watts, a range of about 7 dB.  That is not a large window, so more good
news.

2.  While I am not familiar with the Cobra Ultra-Lite antenna, I do see two
problems associated with it: A) It is only 50 feet away from your
equipment.  Depending upon the part of the antenna that radiates most of
the RF field, that is less than one-half wavelength on 75 meters, putting
you and the equipment into a high level field strength.  B) The antenna is
fed with ladder line and a balun.  Where is the balun located?  If it's in
the shack, then you have ladder line with large fields around the
conductors close to the equipment.  Hopefully, the balun is outdoors, with
coax between your tuner and the balun.  Although fields around a balanced
transmission line will cancel if the currents are equal, any imbalance in
the current will result in field radiation from the line.

It is no surprise to me that the "brute force" power filter did not help.
The problem is not likely due to anything having to do with the AC power
line feeding the CCTV equipment.  More likely, the problem is caused by
coupling of strong 75m RF onto the connecting cable between the camera and
monitor and/or direct radiation into the circuitry of the camera or
monitor.  This now brings up the issue of providing external RF chokes on
the connecting cables, applying absorption beads or toroids to the power
supply (wall wart, perhaps) that runs the camera or monitor, and even
presents the possibility of having to provide some sort of internal
shielding in the equipment.

With a threshold of only 7 dB, the logical choice would be to apply RF
absorbing chokes over all connecting cables between the camera, monitor,
and power supply.  However, these must be made from materials that are
effective at 3.5 MHz - the usual general purpose clamp-on ferrites are made
for much higher frequencies.

An alternative to modifying the equipment would be to move the antenna
further away.  If that's possible, placing it at least 100 feet away from
the equipment could solve (or reduce) the problem.  Of course, operating
without the amplifier is another choice. Bottom line: you must reduce the
net RF field seen by the CCTV equipment.  You can do that by moving the
antenna further away, placing the balun outside (if it is not now outside),
reducing power, or beefing up the equipment and its cabling to withstand
the field strength you have.

I'll leave it at that for now.  Let us know what you think might be easiest
for you to implement.  I assume that the manufacturer has no plan in place
to help with RFI issues, although they should.

73, Dale
WA9ENA