RFI

Re: [RFI] Lightning Protection

To: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Lightning Protection
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 08:08:39 -0500
No, not effective. Again, because *everything else* is in corona (tower legs,
rivets, weld sputters, bolt threads, nut shoulders, joints of all kinds) and
because lightning propagation isn't driven by small variations in the local
electric field, which is all these devices can accomplish. Lightning begins
well aloft in the cloud, when the e-field approaches 1 M V/m and propagates at
the very high e-field at the tip of the stepped leader. The downward
propagating stepped leader is typically met 100-200 m above the surface by an
upward-propagating streamer, which is caused by the local e-field induced by
the stepped leader. All of this happens faster (think relativistic speeds) than
corona currents can diffuse away from the source.

Kim N5OP