RFI

Re: [RFI] Samsung refrigerator RFI

To: Kelly Johnson <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Samsung refrigerator RFI
From: Tom Thompson <tlthompson@qwest.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 18:20:42 -0600
Hi Kelly,

My approach has been that I might help them fix the problem since they
are broadcasting their grow.  I was able to talk one grower into letting
me borrow his light and ballast during the day since he only had the
light on during the night.  I set it up in the basement and experimented
with several common mode choke designs.  The best solution was a common
mode choke on the lamp side WITH THE GROUND WIRE PASSING ON THE OUTSIDE
OF THE CHOKE.  This choke was placed close to the ballast.  Larry, W0QE,
published the results on his web site.  See
http://www.w0qe.com/RF_Interference/grow_light_electronic_ballasts.html
On my mobile receiver, sitting in front of the grower's house, I saw the
noise drop from 40 dB over S-9 to S-5 when the filter was in place.  At
my house which was a block and a half away the noise is no longer
heard.  Most of the lines going from the ballast to the lamp are close
to a quarter wavelength on 40 meters so that is where the noise peaks.
The ballast switching frequency is around 70 kHz. The harmonic content
drops off as the frequency increases but the antenna factor gets
better.  I think 40 meters is about the cross over point.

Be careful approaching these folks.  If the house is a rental, you can
get the landlord information from the public tax records.  One landlord
sent me a $40 gift certificate for alerting her of the grow.  She
evicted them but not before they did $4000 worth of damage to her
property.  If medical marijuana is not legal in you state (it is here in
Colorado) you might be able to get the police to accompany you.

I hope this helps.

73,   Tom   W0IVJ