RFI

Re: [RFI] Motors/controllers and something to think about

To: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Motors/controllers and something to think about
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 10:52:23 -0600
Dale,

I agree in some instances but the discussion here has been for motors of
significant size in appliances.  Rise times when driving something such
as a motor with a large mass is not that important. I have done
considerable work driving fairly large stepper motors and assuming a
drive frequency of 5kHz (period of 200us) I could never measure any
performance differences when the rise time was .1us, 1us or, 5us.  Yet a
5us rise time produced much less RFI. However a rise time of 50us would
seriously produce a different waveform and probably affect the
performance of the motor.

Every large appliance I have tamed was not fixable with clamp on ferrite
cores (even with multiple turns through the core) which only affect
common mode currents.  In all cases I needed to insert (cut into wiring)
and put in a differential filter.  The differential filter slowed the
motor drive rise times and the RFI was eliminated or greatly reduced.

My $.02

Larry, W0QE