RFI

Re: [RFI] GE Microwave

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] GE Microwave
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 15:52:16 -0700
On 8/27/2012 1:59 PM, Cortland Richmond wrote:
> How about a 15 Amp power-line filter instead?

Three reasons.  In my experience, most noise is common mode on all three
conductors, in which case a commercial filter isn't going to make a
dent.  Second, this filter costs $26 plus shipping.  4-5 turns of the
power cable around a #43 or #31 costs about $5 if you've followed my
advice and joined a group purchase for your local ham club, or about $10
if you have not.  And the choke WILL work if it's common mode on all
three wires. Third, whatever is used to kill the trash needs to be very
close to the chassis of the unit, because the power cable between the
unit and the choke will be a radiator. It's easy to do that with the choke.

Part numbers and sources are on my webpage.
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

If the noise is differential, the commercial filter could help.

73, Jim K9YC