RFI

Re: [RFI] Brickwall plus ISOBAR

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Brickwall plus ISOBAR
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 10:21:15 -0700
On 9/17/2012 10:04 AM, AE4CW wrote:
Jim, is there a preferred way to extend the number of outlets from one of
the Brickwall surge protector?  For example could an existing ISOBAR be
used?

Yes.

  And, would it be advisable to remove the MOV's in the ISOBAR?

It's OK to have MOVs downstream of the series-mode box, but if you want to use it elsewhere you should remove them. .

  I'm
presuming that every 120V outlet in the shack that has any interconnected
equipment should all be power from one branch circuit.

Yes, and that's also an excellent strategy for minimizing hum and buzz. A single 20A circuit will easily handle all the radio and computer gear in the average ham shack up to and including a 600W amp, even an SO2R setup, as long as only one rig is transmitting at high power at a time. Note also that SurgeX makes suppressors that are built into NEMA boxes to be installed in a branch circuit between the breaker panel and the equipment. I specified these in those installed systems that I designed.

  Or perhaps, a second
Brickwall could be used on a second branch circuit.

I can't think of a reason why you would need a second unit or second circuit unless equipment was in a different location in the house.

How about protecting 240V circuits?  That would seem necessary as well for
240V equipment (amps) interconnected with 120V equipment.

It is an issue, and SurgeX makes a 240V unit that I used to specify for big video projectors, which in those days were VERY expensive and often very sensitive to power line issues. But in a ham shack, it can get into that same cost/benefit ratio that I ran into with big audio power amps. :)

The computer network in the shack is a wireless repeater/bridge with short
CAT5 to the computers and powered on the same 120V branch as the rest of the
shack.  OK?

Sounds relatively safe.

73, Jim  K9YC