RFI

Re: [RFI] Line noise update

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Line noise update
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 14:43:47 -0700
On 10/9/2012 2:34 PM, N1BUG wrote:

I have no experience with the earlier unit so I am not able to make comparisons.

The Kenwood TH-F6A is quite user-friendly and works as a general coverage RX from below the AM BC band to about 1 GHz, but the RX is pretty much a block of wood at HF and below. It's good when you're close to the source, but you won't hear weak signals.

Another suggestion, Paul. If you suspect electronic noise sources, something with a panadapter is VERY useful for identifying noise as being electronic in origin (or not). The clue is a spectrum that looks like humps of noise that drift around a bit, repeating at intervals depending on the switching rates, and with drifty carriers in the middle of most humps.

73, Jim K9YC