RFI

Re: [RFI] Fluorescent Light RFI

To: "Tony" <dxdx@optonline.net>, "Rfi List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Fluorescent Light RFI
From: "Eric - VE3GSI" <ve3gsi@myrehall.ca>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 22:57:49 -0400
Tony,
I just this week bought 7 fluorescent fixtures from Lowe's, labeled 'performance shop light plus'. These are the plug in domestic type fixture and I found them to be RF quiet. They appear to be by a company called American Fluorescent (made in China). At forty bucks a fixture they are cheaper then most replacement ballast.

But as Mike - KM0T has mentioned, be very much aware of the comercial broad voltage range ballast, i.e. types like Sylvinia and Triad (and I am sure others). I tried the commercial lights with these type of ballast and they were so noisy the 'damn' things actually wiped out all but the very strong local FM stations on my shop radio. Interesting, I did not find them to cause any problems on my HF gear, but my Ham antennas are located away from the shop.

One thing about the big box stores like Lowe's and Home Depot, they take items back if you find they are not what you want. In fact, I simply bought several different fixtures to try and took back the ones not suited for the job and as the case of the commercial units unfit for use around a radio. Mike has detailed a post on commercial fixtures, in short, I echo his views and like him found most sellers could care less. I did have one person tell me to buy a better radio... no I did not hit him, I did come close though.

Eric - VE3GSI.

PS.
I did have an electrician offer me all the magnetic ballast I want just for the asking (no fixtures). The ballast are the ones removed from commercial sites where they are upgrading customers with the electronic ballast to lower electric costs. I can see in places where there are several hundred fixtures, or more, it definitely would lower electrical costs. In any case, for those interested, try your local commercial electrician to see what they are tossing in the garbage bin.
er.

----- Original Message ----- Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:05 AM
Subject: [RFI] Fluorescent Light RFI

All:

The XYL says I've been procrastinating long enough about installing a 48" fluorescent light in the garage. First thing that came to mind is RFI. Are there any brands that are known to cause interference? Local stores carry Metalux, Utilitech and Portfolio.

Tony