RFI

Re: [RFI] 160m ARDF / fox hunt antenna

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] 160m ARDF / fox hunt antenna
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 15:35:42 -0500
Well, after a lovely bit of walking... about 6 miles of it... I've narrowed the source of my new RFI down to a small area. It is all residential. The nulls are on the loop are not consistent or predictable within that small area. Attempting to create a plausible explanation for this, my feeble mind invents: noise conducted into power, cable, or phone lines and radiating from multiple points within a small area, or from all wires belonging to a given system within that area. The source location is about half a mile from my 160 vertical. It is a bit less distant (~1900 feet) from the end of my west-pointing Beverage, which is the one hearing it the strongest.

I see nothing unusual or suspect on utility poles. There are several of what, to the untrained eye, appear as though they may be unterminated taps on the cable system. However, most have undoubtedly been that way for years. I therefore assume the source is some consumer electronic device. I have a prime suspect home, but am not all that confident. It could easily be be one of half a dozen others. I will try to think of ways to refine the search. But for now... I will rest!

73,
Paul N1BUG