RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise Problem

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise Problem
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 13:23:12 -0800
On 12/3/2012 11:05 AM, Roger D Johnson wrote:
I took out my HT and a
3el Yagi for 2m that I use for powerline noise finding. I
tuned the HT to 145.25 (the video carrier for cable channel
18). I immediately picked up a loud buzzing when the antenna
was pointed at the cable hardware on the pole. I tried 149.75
(the aural carrier)and also heard loud demodulated audio.

I think you may have found the cable TV's leakage problem. You should send them a bill for consulting services at the same time that you tell them you are going to call the FCC if they don't fix it IMMEDIATELY.

Leakage problems couple RF both ways, both out of their system and into their system. You might additionally motivate them to fix it by parking next to that leaky cable with the highest power ham rig you can find and call CQ a lot. :)

73, Jim K9YC