RFI

Re: [RFI] Ballast for fluorescent lamp

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Ballast for fluorescent lamp
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 08:46:03 -0800
On 12/24/2012 8:29 AM, Steve wrote:
The big-box stores only carry the electronic ballasts. Wonder if the electronic ballast will cause me problems?

Expect them to be noisy. Noise is radiated (at least) three ways -- from the tubes themselves, from wiring between the controller and the tube(s), and from power wiring. I've seen advice from the EMC community that it's possible to shield the fixture with screen wire to kill the wiring from the tube, and radiation from power wiring can be killed with a good common mode choke, using the measured data of Appendix One of my RFI tutorial as winding guidelines.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

73, Jim K9YC