RFI

Re: [RFI] 1.23V-30V DC DC Buck Converter Step Down Module

To: "qrv@kd4e.com" <qrv@kd4e.com>, "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] 1.23V-30V DC DC Buck Converter Step Down Module
From: "Dale Svetanoff" <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 17:18:59 -0600
David,

This is the point at which a tutorial in power supply filter design would
serve you well.  There are many factors that have to be considered in
designing the input and output filters for use with a switching power
supply, and they go beyond the switching frequency, the load current, or
the input current.  For one thing, filters are effective in both the
absorbing mode and the reflecting mode, depending upon design.  "Absorbing"
is where a large portion of the incident energy from a switcher is absorbed
as heat by the filter choke material, and "reflective" is where a large
portion of the incident energy is reflected back to the noise source.

Both types are effective and many power supply designs use both types of
filters.  The problem with reflective types is that unless chosen with the
characteristics of the switcher itself in mind, there is a good likelihood
of blowing components.  In effect, a reflective filter causes high SWR back
to the source.  Of course, absorption filters affect efficiency, so you
need to consider the losses such filters will cause and figure out how much
net output current/power you will have after filtering.  So, bottom line,
if you decide to get "the screamer". I'd buy several, as I see they are
inexpensive and you may end up blowing a few until you tweak the filtering
just right.  As for by-pass caps, .001 uf might be a decent start, but it
is likely you will need multiple values to make effective filters.

All of that having been said, I'll offer an alternative for home use (yes,
I know you said home and mobile - well, here's half an idea).  How about
considering an inexpensive LINEAR power supply, all built, ready to go, and
it supplies something like 4.5V thru 12V filtered, regulated DC at 2 amps?
If that idea appeals, check out power supplies at MCM Electronics.  I've
got one of those on my work bench for those oddball voltage situations and
it's really handy.  Usual price is somewhere around $15 and it is all
linear - not a switching device to be found (except for the power on-off
switch, of course!).  A front panel selector sets the output voltage.

Good luck with the project.

73,
Dale Svetanoff, WA9ENA
Sr EMC Engineer
E-N-A Systems, LLC
Specializing in shielding applications, system grounding, and lightning
protection