RFI

Re: [RFI] 30 M Shuts Down Internet Cable Modem

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] 30 M Shuts Down Internet Cable Modem
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 21:26:29 -0700
Hi Dan,

First, forget about "ground" -- a connection to the earth is NOT part of a cure for any form of RFI, nor does it make antennas work any better.

Second, I can't even begin to imagine what an "end fed multiband dipole" is. What DOES matter is how close the antenna you are using on 30M is to that cable modem, AND to the cables connected to the cable modem.

Now, getting to your cable modem. it helps to think about how your TX RF is getting into that cable modem. There are several possible ways.

1) The cable modem itself is badly shielded, so wiring inside the modem is picking up the signal. The cure -- throw it away and get one that does not have that problem. If it belongs to the cable company, tell them it is defective (and HOW it is defective) and tell them to either fix it or replace it with one that works.

2) The RF is getting INSIDE the cable itself because somewhere in the cable system there is a bad shield connection. This is a VERY common problem, and can happen when the cable installer does a bad job installing one or more connectors on the cable. It can also happen when a CUSTOMER makes his/her own connection (because he/she doesn't want to pay the cable company) and does it badly. This is the most common way RF gets onto the cable, and ALSO how their TV and computer signals leak out of the cable to cause us interference. This is also the cable company's problem, and THEY must fix it.

3) The other most common way RF gets into equipment is by the cables connected to the equipment acting as receiving antennas, and coupling the signal it receives into equipment by a manufacturing defect called "The Pin One Problem." There's no easy fix for Pin One Problems in most equipment, BUT it's easy to kill the antenna action by adding the RIGHT ferrite choke to the cable(s).

The most likely antennas are the coax, the CAT5 cable that connects the cable modem to your Ethernet switch or wi-fi base station, and the power supply cable (between the power supply and the modem).

You MUST wind multiple turns through ferrite cores to make a dent in RFI on 30M. Just clamping a core on a wire won't do anything useful. For detailed advice on how to wind them, study

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

A good start for 30M would be 4-5 turns through a 1-inch long #31 or a #43 core, or 7-10 turns through a #31 or #43 toroid. If you're lucky and the problem is not #1 or #2, this ought to fix it. It's the cable company's problem, and you'll have to get them to fix it.

73, Jim K9YC