RFI

Re: [RFI] RF tight rooms - somewhat OT

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RF tight rooms - somewhat OT
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 10:00:54 -0700
On 5/11/2013 8:34 PM, n0tt1@juno.com wrote:
My question to the group is what, in your opinion, is the
best/cheapest RF-tight test room he could build for himself?

Roger has outlined the general concept of a proper screen room. BUT -- many RF interference issues are the result of poor design of the equipment involved, as well improper interconnections between the equipment and the DUT (device under test), as and can be solved by correcting those problems without going to the considerable expense of a screen room.

The most common cause of RFI is "The Pin One Problem," followed by poor equipment shielding. RFI to shielded balanced twisted pair is often caused by Shield-Current-Induced Noise. My website includes a lot of tutorial applications notes on these issues. http://k9yc.com/publish.htm The Ham's Guide" is the most recent, and covers all of these issues except Shield-Current-Induced Noise (SCIN). See the separate audio-related tutorials for SCIN, which is mostly a problem with microphone wiring for professional sound systems, but could be a factor with instrumentation that uses shielded twisted pair.

73, Jim K9YC