RFI

Re: [RFI] Time for me to get serious on chasing down this RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Time for me to get serious on chasing down this RFI
From: Christopher Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:46:07 -0800

On 8/18/13 11:29 AM, Charlie Gallo wrote:
> Hey Gang, OK - time to get serious about chasing down my household
> RFI - some I Know (Household-6's (aka XYL) washing machine) others I
> know the breaker, but couldn't find what is even powered by that
> breaker (and neighborhood noise is nothing to write home about -
> living in NYC with 100+ houses in a 10 min walk...)

Those little outlet testers are great for that (little 3 light plugs).
I had to do a "map" of my current place, by starting with all breakers
off and testing each outlet and light as I turned em on.

Found all sorts of stuff like 4 of 6 outlets in one bedroom on one
circuit, and remaining 2 on the circuit for the adjacent room.  That and
the fact that instead of using GFCI outlets, they used a single GFCI
breaker and ran it through the garage outlets and all three bathrooms.

Ended up with a 2 page (upstairs/downstairs) crude floorplan with little
Xes and circles for outlets and lights with a breaker #.

Very useful in tracking things down.