RFI

Re: [RFI] KG2V's new RFI rule of thumb...

To: Jeff Stevens <jeff@mossycup.com>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] KG2V's new RFI rule of thumb...
From: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 15:05:41 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Gentlemen,

To a great extent, I also agree with Charlie's "rule".  However, the REAL
problem exists in two areas: regulatory bodies (such as the FCC and the EU
Commission, among others) and manufacturers.

In the USA, we have no requirements for the majority of consumer electronic
devices to meet radiated emissions of any sort below 26 MHz.  The allowable
levels above 26 MHz are such that these gadgets won't necessarily interfere
with each other or most other consumer systems (whether or not TVs and FM
stereo systems are connected to antennas or CATV feeds).  Licensed spectrum
users (hams, and others) did not get a lot of respect with the allowable
levels, but some reduction of emissions beats no reduction.

You then have the manufacturers screaming about cost.  Well, the FCC caved in
on susceptibility issues for Part 15 devices, but the EU stayed firm and
insisted on a minimal level of RF withstanding for electronic devices that
carry the CE mark.  When you see a device having a cord or cable with a
molded-on ferrite device, yes, you certainly know it is there because the
product is a "screamer".  The issue is then: how bad of a screamer?  You
probably won't know until you try it.

Some folks, like Jim Brown, K9YC, and Ed Hare, W1RFI, have been posting
comments and suggestions on this reflector for years about how to reduce (or
eliminate) these unwanted emissions.  Yes, it takes work, some money (not a
lot, necessarily), and just plain effort to overcome the problems.  In a lot of
instances, adding some extra ferrites (as beads or toroids) might be enough to
cure a particular problem.  In other cases, you are better off to dump the
offender and try something else.  The problem arises, of course, when that
something else belongs to a neighbor and not you.

One sorry situation has emerged over the past several years regarding "name
brand" equipment: cheap ripoff copies or accessory items that do not meet any
emissions specs.  I am sure that we have all heard about various instances of
battery packs and/or battery chargers that have caught fire.  Some of them were
found to be fake copies of OEM equipment, sold real cheap and made
you-know-where.  Those same vermin are also real good at eliminating components
in power supplies that are supposed to suppress emissions.  So, one thing to
consider when buying equipment or accessories, look carefully to see if all
regulatory and safety agency markings are in place (FCC, UL, etc.).  Sadly,
those markings get faked, too, but you have to start somewhere.  If an item
proves to be a screamer, contact the (supposed) legit manufacturer and burn
their ears.  See what reaction you get.  Legit makers should want to placate
irate customers, others won't care.  Buy accordingly.

One last comment: to the best of my knowledge, European and FCC emission
requirements were "harmonized" many years ago.  That's a "nice" way of saying
that EU and FCC emission requirements are very similar or, in some instances,
identical.  It's the Europeans who had the guts to tell the manufacturers that
their junk must withstand external RFI.  It is possible that the extra ferrite
is there so that the subject switch is not affected by RF fields of up to 3V/m
in its vicinity.  That's one reason I look for a CE Mark on computer products.
The big names tend to make one box that can sell in many markets.  They have
proven to me that adding some RFI insurance is not expensive - the "cry babies"
would like you to think it is.  Yeah, I'm not being polite, but then RFI is not
a polite subject in many venues.

73, Dale
WA9ENA