RFI

Re: [RFI] "Efficient" replacements for linear voltage regulators

To: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] "Efficient" replacements for linear voltage regulators
From: Jeff Stevens <jeff@mossycup.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 15:56:59 -0400
I've thought quite a bit about incorporating switch mode supplies into
my projects for quite a while.  It becomes a very attractive option
when I look at running 3.3V devices on the 'standard' 13.8V supplies
we all have in our shacks.  The linear supplies are just so
inefficient with all that voltage drop they have to eat up.  In
particular, I've looked at lots of circuits which use the MC34063.  It
seems to be the switch mode equivalent of the 78xx linear regulators
we see all over the place -- That is, it's been used 'everywhere' for
a very long time and I could probably find one in a junked electronic
device around the house.

What's stopped me is simply that I don't really know what 'good EMC
design' is when it comes to power supplies.  I have no idea what the
300kHz ripple is going to do when it hits something like a DDS chip,
MMIC amplifier, or mixer.  The actual reference circuits are dead
simple.  There are only a couple added external components over a
linear regulator.  It's just not knowing what that ripple is going to
do when it gets into the rest of my circuit that keeps me from
investigating switchers.

If any radio amateurs have used switchmode circuits extensively, I'd
love to see what projects they have been used in.  It would give me
some confidence that it *can* be done.  In the meantime I just know
I'm not the person so experiment in that particular field of home
brewing.  When I'm troubleshooting other parts of a project, it's just
nice to know that the stable DC power provided by a linear IC isn't
contributing to any issues I experience.

-Jeff
W7WWA