RFI

Re: [RFI] Grouping and routing shack wiring

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Grouping and routing shack wiring
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 05:23:14 -0400
On 10/2/2013 3:38 AM, Rick Kiessig wrote:
A while back, I decided to clean up some wiring in my shack. I grouped some
wires together with either twist-ties or a clamp-on toroid, routed them to
look nice, and that kind of thing. The end result was an RFI disaster! I
went from having no RFI problems to very bad ones. So, I undid all of my
work, and went back to a spread-out, loose, untidy look. It's messy, but it
works fine - well, mostly.

Everything seems to run well under SSB contest conditions. Last weekend,
though, during 40+ hours of running HP RTTY, my laptop and/or microHAM MKII
crashed about a half-dozen times. I eventually solved the problem by
unplugging as many cables as I could from the laptop, throwing a spare
toroid on a coil of USB cable going from the PC to the MKII, and dialing
back my power output a little on 20 and 40.

Been there, done that, same result
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/boat1.htm

I had an antenna for each band, the rigs were close to SO5R.
The wiring behind the desk was a mass. Likewise a neat, segregated, and harnessed, rewiring job was an RFI disaster. It looked great, but nothing worked right, or only at very low power. It took a month or more to get them all working again.

There was a separate station at the end of the room, but it wasn't part of the rewiring.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/boat3.htm

73,

Roger (K8RI)